It seems icc or icpc does not know about the option -mp, so
"mpiCC -g -O2 -mp simple_mpi.c" complains about -mp.

> mpicc -g -O2 -mp simple_mpi.c
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mp"

> mpicxx -g -O2 -mp simple_mpi.c
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-mp"

I used mpich2's compiler wrapper built with intel compiler
for testing (since the error comes from the native compiler
so it does not matter what MPI implementation is used)
Also, CC should be set to mpicc not mpiCC (which is
C++ MPI compiler wrapper)  Anyway, I suggest you try
configure MPE as follows:

./configure CC=icc F77=ifort
MPI_CC=/usr/local/ompi-ifort/bin/mpicc
MPI_F77=/usr/local/ompi-ifort/bin/mpif77
--prefix=......

mpe2-1.0.6p1 isn't the latest.  The latest mpe2 is bundled
with mpich2, currently at 1.1.1p1, and just use mpich2/src/mpe2

Let me know how it goes.

A.Chan