On Nov 5, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Douglas Guptill wrote:

I am currently using sshfs to mount both OpenMPI and my application on
the "other" computers/nodes.  The advantage to this is that I have
only one copy of OpenMPI and my application.  There may be a
performance penalty, but I haven't seen it yet.

For a small number of nodes (where small <=32 or sometimes even <=64), I find that simple NFS works just fine. If your apps aren't IO intensive, that can greatly simplify installation and deployment of both Open MPI and your MPI applications IMNSHO.

But -- every app is different.  :-)  YMMV.