From: users-boun...@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-boun...@open-mpi.org] On Behalf
Of Douglas Guptill
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 15:53
To: us...@open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Mimicking timeout for MPI_Wait

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 02:29:01PM +0200, Katz, Jacob wrote:

> Thanks.
> Yes, I meant in the question that I was looking for something creative, both
> fast responding and not using 100% CPU all the time.
> I guess I’m not the first one to face this question. Have anyone done
> anything “better” than the simple solution?

My MPI application is a two-process thing, in which data is thrown
back and forth.  For the most part, one process is calculating, and
the other is waiting.

I got tired of seeing both cpus at 100% load, and based on suggestions
from Jeff Squyres and Eugene Loh, wrote MPI_Recv.c and MPI_Send.c.  I
load these with my application, and bingo!  Only one cpu busy at any
given time.

They use a graduated sleep; the first sleep is short, the second is
twice as long, and so on, up to a maximum sleep time.

I sent the code along with my last message on the subject (December
2008, or later) so it should be in the archives.  Failing that, I
could post it again, if anyone wants it.

Douglas.