This typically means that either libmpi.so does not exist on the machine that
you are trying to run it on, or it cannot be found.  You may need to extend the
value of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable with the lib directory of
your Open MPI installation (don't just overwrite it -- check first to see if
there's something else already in there, and if so, prefix it).

For example (Bourne-flavored shells):

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/openmpi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

For C-flavored shells:

% setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/openmpi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(both of these assume that there is already a value in LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

You might be able to configure Open MPI with the
--enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default configure switch, which, if you have Open MPI
installed in the same location on all nodes, takes away some of this drudgery
by prefixing LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH for you.