Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 20:41:26 -0700
From: eugene....@oracle.com
To: us...@open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI how large its buffer size ?

I hope I understand the question properly.

The "truncate error" means that the receive buffer provided by the user
was too small to receive the designated message.  That's an error in
the user code.

You're asking about some buffering sizes within the MPI
implementation.  We can talk about that, but it probably first makes
sense to clarify what MPI is doing.  If a sender posts a large send and
the receiver has not posted a reply, the MPI implementation is not
required to move any data.  In particular, most MPI implementations
will use a "rendezvous" protocol in which the sender sends a short
portion and then waits for an acknowledgement from the receiver that it
is ready to receive the message (and knows into which user buffer to
place the received data).  This protocol is used so that the MPI
implementation does not have to buffer internally arbitrarily large
messages.

So, if you post a large send but no receive, the MPI implementation is
probably buffering very little data.  The message won't advance until
the receive has been posted.  This means that a blocking MPI_Send will
wait and a nonblocking MPI_Isend will return without having done much.

Jack Bryan wrote:

  Hi,

  thanks for the program from Jody.

  David indicated the question that I want to ask.

  But, Jody's approach is ok when the MPI built-in buffer size is
large enough to hold the
  message such as 100kB in the buffer.

  In
asynchronous communication, when the sender posts a mpi_isend, the
message is put in
buffer provided by the MPI.

  At
this point, the receiver may still not post its corresponding
mpi_irecv. So, the buffer size is
  important
here.

  Without
knowing the buffer size, I may get " truncate error " on Open MPI.

  How to know the size of the buffer automatically
created by Open MPI in the background ?

  Any
help is appreciated.

Jack,