Other than MPI_COMM_SPAWN[_MULTIPLE], we don't expose the underlying run-time
to MPI applications.

There is a whole programatic interface for the layer under MPI (the Open MPI
Runtime Environment -- ORTE), though.  We don't advise mixing ORTE calls in MPI
applications, but it is certainly feasible to use ORTE for non-MPI things (some
of the OMPI community member organizations do so).

What are you trying to do?