i have now a application with a gui. The gui launches the calculations
in-process serially.
No MPI involved. Fine. The objective is to parallelize.

I want to keep the GUI(windows) as the control to start calcs and display
results.

The GUI could be the master process of the mpi processes.
That's bad because the executable image has deps on the GUI library and
there's no need for all the mpi processes (the same executable) to have
anything to do with the display.

besides, i have a win box and a couple of linux boxes, and openmpi cannot
mix both in the same group of mpi processes.

therefore, I guess I need to separate the GUI binary from the mpi-processes
binary and have the GUI process talk to the "master" mpi process (on linux)
for calc requests.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to write a custom code to do that.