Thanks for your responses!  I'm at home today so I can't actually do any
tests to 'see' if anything works. But I logged in remotely and I did as
Ralph suggested and ran env as my app.  No process returned a value for
DISPLAY.  Then I made a small program that calls getenv("DISPLAY") to run
with mpi, and each process returns NULL.

I did some googling and found in the mpirun man
page<http://linux.die.net/man/1/mpirun>
:

"*Exported Environment Variables*
The *-x* option to *mpirun* can be used to export specific environment
variables to the new processes. While the syntax of the *-x* option allows
the definition of new variables, note that the* parser for this option is
currently not very sophisticated* - it does not even understand quoted
values. Users are advised to* set variables in the environment and use **-x*
* to export them; not to define them*."
So it looks like I need to manually set them, possible how Jeff suggested.
 I'll do some more research on this and get back after I've tried a few
things in the lab.

Thanks again!
Brad