Hi,

Am 10.02.2011 um 19:11 schrieb Tena Sakai:

>> your local machine is Linux like, but the execution hosts
>> are Macs? I saw the /Users/tsakai/... in your output.
>
> No, my environment is entirely linux.  The path to my home
> directory on one host (blitzen) has been known as /Users/tsakai,
> despite it is an nfs mount from vixen (which is known to
> itself as /home/tsakai).  For historical reasons, I have
> chosen to give a symbolic link named /Users to vixen's /Home,
> so that I can use consistent path for both vixen and blitzen.

okay. Sometimes the protection of the home directory must be adjusted too, but
as you can do it from the command line this shouldn't be an issue.

>> Is this a private cluster (or at least private interfaces)?
>> It would also be an option to use hostbased authentication,
>> which will avoid setting any known_hosts file or passphraseless
>> ssh-keys for each user.
>
> No, it is not a private cluster.  It is Amazon EC2.  When I
> Ssh from my local machine (vixen) I use its public interface,
> but to address from one amazon cluster node to the other I
> use nodes' private dns names: domU-12-31-39-07-35-21 and
> domU-12-31-39-06-74-E2.  Both public and private dns names
> change from a launch to another.  I am using passphrasesless
> ssh-keys for authentication in all cases, i.e., from vixen to
> Amazon node A, from amazon node A to amazon node B, and from
> Amazon node B back to A.  (Please see my initail post.  There
> is a session dialogue for this.)  They all work without authen-
> tication dialogue, except a brief initial dialogue:
>    The authenticity of host 'domu-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x (10.xx.xx.xx)'
>    can't be established.
>     RSA key fingerprint is e3:ad:75:b1:a4:63:7f:0f:c4:0b:10:71:f3:2f:21:81.
>     Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
> to which I say "yes."
> But I am unclear with what you mean by "hostbased authentication"?
> Doesn't that mean with password?  If so, it is not an option.

No. It's convenient inside a private cluster as it won't fill each users'
known_hosts file and you don't need to create any ssh-keys. But when the
hostname changes every time it might also create new hostkeys. It uses hostkeys
(private and public), this way it works for all users. Just for reference:

http://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/howto/hostbased-ssh.html

You could look into it later.

==

- Can you try to use a command when connecting from A to B? E.g. ssh
`domU-12-31-39-06-74-E2 ls`. Is this working too?

- What about putting:

LogLevel DEBUG3

In your ~/.ssh/config. Maybe we can see what he's trying to negotiate before it
fails in verbose mode.

-- Reuti