Sorry Ralph, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.   I believe
that the output below shows that the issue is that the two different MPIs
launch things differently.   On one node, I ran:

[brent@node2 mpi]$ which mpirun
~/bin/openmpi143/bin/mpirun
[brent@node2 mpi]$ mpirun -np 4 --bynode sleep 300

And then checked the process tree on the remote node:

[brent@node1 mpi]$ ps -fu brent
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
brent     1709  1706  0 10:00 ?        00:00:00
/mnt/node1/home/brent/bin/openmpi143/bin/orted -mca
brent     1712  1709  0 10:00 ?        00:00:00 sleep 300
brent     1713  1709  0 10:00 ?        00:00:00 sleep 300
brent     1714 18458  0 10:00 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -fu brent
brent    13282 13281  0 Feb17 pts/0    00:00:00 -bash
brent    18458 13282  0 Feb23 pts/0    00:00:00 -csh
[brent@node1 mpi]$ ps -fp 1706
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root      1706     1  0 10:00 ?        00:00:00 slurmstepd: [29.9]
[brent@node1 mpi]$

Note that the parent of the sleep processes is orted and that orted was started
by slurmstepd.  Unless orted is updating the slurm variables for the children
(which is doubtful) then they will not contain the specific settings that I see
when I run srun directly.  I launch with HP-MPI like this:

[brent@node2 mpi]$ /opt/hpmpi/bin/mpirun -srun -N 2 -n 4 sleep 300

I then see the following in the process tree on the remote node:

[brent@node1 mpi]$ ps -fu brent
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
brent     1741  1738  0 10:02 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sleep 300
brent     1742  1738  0 10:02 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sleep 300
brent     1745 18458  0 10:02 pts/0    00:00:00 ps -fu brent
brent    13282 13281  0 Feb17 pts/0    00:00:00 -bash
brent    18458 13282  0 Feb23 pts/0    00:00:00 -csh
[brent@node1 mpi]$ ps -fp 1738
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root      1738     1  0 10:02 ?        00:00:00 slurmstepd: [29.10]
[brent@node1 mpi]$

Since the parent of both of the sleep processes is slurmstepd, it is setting
things up as I would expect.  This lineage is the same as I find by running
srun directly.

Now, the question still is, why does this work for Jeff?  :)  Is there a way to
get orted out of the way so the sleep processes are launched directly by srun?

brent