From: Terry Dontje <terry.don...@oracle.com>
To: Jeff Squyres <jsquy...@cisco.com>
Cc: Mudassar Majeed <mudassar...@yahoo.com>; Open MPI Users <us...@open-mpi.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Urgent Question regarding, MPI_ANY_SOURCE.

I have to agree with Jeff, we really need a complete program to really debug
this.  Note, without really seeing what the structures look like it is hard to
determine if maybe there is some type of structure mismatch going between
recv_packet and load_packet.  Also the output you show seems incomplete in that
not all data transfers are being shown so it is kind of hard to determine if
packets are possibly being dropped or what.

I agree the output looks suspicious but it still leaves a lot to
    interpretation without really seeing a complete code.

Sorry,

--td

On 7/15/2011 3:44 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
Can you write this up in a small, complete program that shows the problem, and
that we can compile and run? On Jul 15, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Mudassar Majeed
wrote:
>*id is same as myid I am comparing the results by seeing the printed messages,
>given by the printfs....  the recv_packet.rank is the rank of the sender that
>should be equal to status.MPI_SOURCE but it is not.  I have updated the code a
>little bit, here is it. if( (is_receiver == 1) && (is_sender != 1) ) {
>printf("\nP%d >> Receiver only ...!!", myid); printf("\n");
>MPI_Recv(&recv_packet, 1, loadDatatype, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm,
>&status); printf("\nP%d >> Received from P%d, packet contains rank: %d", myid,
>status.MPI_SOURCE, recv_packet.rank); printf("\n"); } else if( (is_sender ==
>1) && (is_receiver != 1) ) {     load_packet.rank = myid; load_packet.ld =
>load; printf("\nP%d >> Sender only ...!! P%d", myid, rec_rank); printf("\n");
>MPI_Ssend(&load_packet, 1, loadDatatype, rec_rank, MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm); } else
>if( (is_receiver == 1) && (is_sender == 1) ) { load_packet.rank = myid;
>load_packet.ld = load; printf("\nP%d >> Both ...!! P%d", myid,
 rec_rank); printf("\n"); MPI_Sendrecv(&load_packet, 1, loadDatatype, rec_rank,
MPI_TAG_LOAD,  &recv_packet, 1, loadDatatype, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_TAG_LOAD,
comm, &status); printf("\nP%d >> Received from P%d, packet contains rank: %d",
myid, status.MPI_SOURCE, recv_packet.rank); printf("\n"); } here is the output
P11 >> Sender only ...!! P2 P14 >> Sender only ...!! P6 P15 >> Neither ...!!
P15 >> I could reach here ...!! P8 >> Neither ...!! P8 >> I could reach here
...!! P1 >> Receiver only ...!! P9 >> Sender only ...!! P0 P2 >> Receiver only
...!! P10 >> Sender only ...!! P1 P3 >> Receiver only ...!! P3 >> Received from
P13, packet contains rank: 14 P0 >> Receiver only ...!! P0 >> Received from P3,
packet contains rank: 9 P4 >> Receiver only ...!! P12 >> Neither ...!! P12 >> I
could reach here ...!! P5 >> Both ...!! P3 P13 >> Sender only ...!! P4 P13 >> I
could reach here ...!! P6 >> Both ...!! P5 P7 >> Neither ...!! P7 >> I could
reach here ...!! P14 >>
 I could reach here ...!! P1 >> Received from P7, packet contains rank: 11 P1
>> I could reach here ...!! P9 >> I could reach here ...!!
P2 >> Received from P11, packet contains rank: 13 P2 >> I could reach here
...!! P0 >> I could reach here ...!! P11 >> I could reach here ...!!
P3 >> I could reach here ...!! regards,
Mudassar From: Terry Dontje <terry.don...@oracle.com> To: Mudassar Majeed
<mudassar...@yahoo.com> Cc: "us...@open-mpi.org" <us...@open-mpi.org> Sent:
Friday, July 15, 2011 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Urgent Question regarding, MPI_ANY_SOURCE. On
7/15/2011 2:35 PM, Mudassar Majeed wrote:
>>Here is the code if( (is_receiver == 1) && (is_sender != 1) ) { printf("\nP%d
>>loadDatatype, MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm, &status); printf("\nP%d >>
>>Received from P%d", myid, status.MPI_SOURCE); printf("\n"); } else if(
>>(is_sender == 1) && (is_receiver != 1) ) {     load_packet.rank = *id;
>>load_packet.ld = load; printf("\nP%d >> Sender only ...!! P%d", myid,
>>rec_rank); printf("\n"); MPI_Ssend(&load_packet, 1, loadDatatype, rec_rank,
>>MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm); } else if( (is_receiver == 1) && (is_sender == 1) ) {
>>load_packet.rank = *id; load_packet.ld = load; printf("\nP%d >> Both ...!!
>>P%d", myid, rec_rank); printf("\n"); MPI_Sendrecv(&load_packet, 1,
>>loadDatatype, rec_rank, MPI_TAG_LOAD,  &recv_packet, 1, loadDatatype,
>>MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm, &status); printf("\nP%d >> Received from
>>P%d", myid, status.MPI_SOURCE); printf("\n"); } A process can be a message
>>sender, or
 receiver or both. There are 16 ranks. "rec_rank" contains the rank of the
receiver. It is displayed before the message is sent.
Every sender displays this "rec_rank" and it should correctly. But on the
receiver sides, status.MPI_SOURCE is displayed (after receiving message), but
the value
is not matching with the expected sender's rank.
>>Sorry, but I still don't see how you are detecting the mismatch.  I assume
>>load_packet_rank some how relates to load_packet.  But why are you setting it
>>to *id instead of myid?  Also on the receive side I see no place where you
>>pull out the rank from the recv_packet to compare with status.MPI_SOURCE.
>>I did not understand about kernel that you were talking about.
>>A "kernel" that I am talking about is a small piece of code someone can build
>>and run to see the problem.
>>See the code is very clear and it sends the message to "rec_rank" that was
>>displayed before sending the message. But on the receiver side the MPI_SOURCE
>>comes to be wrong.
This shows to me that messages on the receiving sides are captured on the basis
of MPI_ANY_SOURCE, that seems like it does not see the destination of message
while capturing it from message queue of the MPI system. regards,
Mudassar From: Terry Dontje <terry.don...@oracle.com> To: Mudassar Majeed
<mudassar...@yahoo.com> Cc: "us...@open-mpi.org" <us...@open-mpi.org> Sent:
Friday, July 15, 2011 7:10 PM
7/15/2011 12:49 PM, Mudassar Majeed wrote:
>>>Yes, processes receive messages that were not sent to them. I am receiving
>>>the message with the following call MPI_Recv(&recv_packet, 1, loadDatatype,
>>>MPI_ANY_SOURCE, MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm, &status); and that was sent using the
>>>following call, MPI_Ssend(&load_packet, 1, loadDatatype, rec_rank,
>>>MPI_TAG_LOAD, comm); What problem it can have ?. All the parameters are
>>>correct, I have seen them by printf.  What I am thinking is that, the
>>>receive is done with MPI_ANY_SOURCE, so the process is getting any message
>>>(from any source). What should be done so that only that message is captured
>>>that had the destination as this process.
>>>By virtue of MPI the MPI_Recv call should only return messages destined for
>>>that rank.  What makes you think that is not happening?  Can you make some
>>>sort of kernel of code that proves your theory that your MPI_Recv is
>>>receiving another rank's message?  If you can and then post that code maybe
>>>we'll be able to figure out what the issue is. Right now, it seems we are at
>>>a deadlock of you claiming something is happening that really cannot be
>>>happening.  So unless we have more than a broad description of the problem
>>>it is going to be nearly impossible for us to tell you what is wrong. --td
>>>regards,
Mudassar Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:04:34 -0400
From: Terry Dontje <terry.don...@oracle.com> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Urgent
Question regarding, MPI_ANY_SOURCE.
To: us...@open-mpi.org Message-ID: <4e201ec2....@oracle.com> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed" Well MPI_Recv does give you
the message that was sent specifically to
the rank calling it by any of the processes in the communicator.  If you
think the message you received should have gone to another rank then
there is a bug somewhere.  I would start by either adding debugging
printf's to your code to trace the messages.  Or narrowing down the
code to a small kernel such that you can prove to yourself that MPI is
working the way it should and if not you can show us where it is going
wrong. --td On 7/15/2011 6:51 AM, Mudassar Majeed wrote:
> [...]
expected. I need to receive that message which was sent to me, not any
message. regards, Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 06:33:41 -0400
From: Terry Dontje <terry.don...@oracle.com <mailto:terry.don...@oracle.com>>
To: us...@open-mpi.org <mailto:us...@open-mpi.org> Message-ID:
<4e201785.6010...@oracle.com <mailto:4e201785.6010...@oracle.com>>
can do what you are asking.  The receiver uses MPI_ANY_SOURCE for
the source rank value and when you receive a message the
status.MPI_SOURCE will contain the rank of the actual sender not the
receiver's rank.  If you are not seeing that then there is a bug
somewhere. --td On 7/14/2011 9:54 PM, Mudassar Majeed wrote:
> [...]
the sender knows to which receiver the message is to be sent. The
receiver does not know from which sender the message will come. I am
trying to do a research work on load balancing in MPI application
where load is redistributed, so in that I require a receiver to
receive a load value from a sender that it does not know. On the other
hand, the sender actually calculates, to which receiver this load
value should be sent. So for this, I want sender to send a message
containing the load to a receiver, but receiver does not know from
which sender the message will come. See, it is like send receiver in
DATAGRAM sockets. The receiver, receives the message on the IP and
port, the message which was directed for it. I want to have same
behavior. But it seems that it is not possible in MPI. Isn't it? regards,
Mudassar
*From:* Jeff Squyres <jsquy...@cisco.com <mailto:jsquy...@cisco.com>>