Don't know which SSI project you are referring to... I only know the
OpenSSI project, and I was one of the first who subscribed to its
mailing list (since 2001).

http://openssi.org/cgi-bin/view?page=openssi.html

I don't think those OpenSSI clusters are designed for tens of
thousands of nodes, and not sure if it scales well to even a thousand
nodes -- so IMO they have limited use for HPC clusters.

Rayson