On Nov 3, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Blosch, Edwin L wrote:

> Yes it sucks, so that's what led me to post my original question: If /dev/shm
> isn't the right place to put the session file, and /tmp is NFS-mounted, then
> what IS the "right" way to set up a diskless cluster?  I don't think the idea
> of tempfs sounds very appealing, after reading the discussion in FAQ #8 about
> shared-memory usage. We definitely have a job-queueing system and jobs are
> very often killed using qdel, and writing a post-script handler is way beyond
> the level of involvement or expertise we can expect from our sys admins.

In the upcoming OMPI v1.7, we revamped the shared memory setup code such that
it'll actually use /dev/shm properly, or use some other mechanism other than a
mmap file backed in a real filesystem.  So the issue goes away.  But it doesn't
help you yet.  :-\

> Surely there's some reasonable guidance that can be offered to work around an
> issue that is so disabling.

Other than the shared memory file, the session directory shouldn't be large.
So keeping it in a tmpfs should be ok.  It's just that putting the shared
memory in a tmpfs has the potential to cost you "twice": the actual shared
memory itself, and then taking up space in tmpfs (although I have not verified
this myself -- perhaps Linux is smart enough to not do this?).

Are there *no* local disk on the machines at all?

> A related question would be: How is it that HP-MPI works just fine on this
> cluster as it is configured now?  Are they doing something different for
> shared memory communications?

They're probably either not warning you about the issue or not using mmaped
files that are backed in a filesystem (warning you about the issue is actually
a relatively new feature in OMPI, IIRC -- since 1.0, IIRC, OMPI has used mmap
files in a filesystem).

For corporate legal information go to: