On 11/05/2011 09:11 AM, Blosch, Edwin L wrote:
..

I know where you're coming from, and I probably didn't title the post correctly
because I wasn't sure what to ask.  But I definitely saw it, and still see it,
as an OpenMPI issue.  Having /tmp mounted over NFS on a stateless cluster is
not a broken configuration, broadly speaking. The vendors made those decisions
and presumably that's how they do it for other customers as well. There are two
other (Platform/HP) MPI applications that apparently work normally. But OpenMPI
doesn't work normally. So it's deficient.

I'm also concerned that there is a bit of an over-reaction to network
filesystems.  Stores to mmap'd files do not instantly turn into filesystem
writes - there are dirty_writeback parameters to control how often
writes occur and its typically 5-20 seconds.  Ideally, memory or a local
disk is used for session directories but, in many cases, you just wont
notice a performance hit from network filesystems - we didn't when we
tested session directories on Lustre.  If your app is one of those handful
that is slowed by OS jitter at megascale, then you may well notice.
Obviously, its something to test.

For our 1.5 install, I removed Lustre from the list of filesystem types
that generate the warning message about network filesystems.  It would be
nice if it was a site choice whether or not to produce that message and
when.

David