On Nov 4, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Blosch, Edwin L wrote:

> OK, I wouldn't have guessed that the space for /tmp isn't actually in RAM
> until it's needed.  That's the key piece of knowledge I was missing; I really
> appreciate it.  So you can allow /tmp to be reasonably sized, but if you
> aren't actually using it, then it doesn't take up 11 GB of RAM.  And you
> prevent users from crashing the node by setting mem limit to 4 GB less than
> the available memory. Got it.
>
> I agree with your earlier comment:  these are fairly common systems now.  We
> have program- and owner-specific disks where I work, and after the program
> ends, the disks are archived or destroyed.  Before the stateless
> configuration option, the entire computer, nodes and switches as well as
> disks, were archived or destroyed after each program.  Not too cost-effective.
>
> Is this a reasonable final summary? :  OpenMPI uses temporary files in such a
> way that it is performance-critical that these so-called session files, used
> for shared-memory communications, must be "local".  For state-less clusters,
> this means the node image must include a /tmp or /wrk partition,
> intelligently sized so as not to enable an application to exhaust the
> physical memory of the node, and care must be taken not to mask this
> in-memory /tmp with an NFS mounted filesystem.

> It is not uncommon for cluster enablers to exclude /tmp from a typical base
> Linux filesystem image or mount it over NFS, as a means of providing users
> with a larger-sized /tmp that is not limited to a fraction of the node's
> physical memory, or to avoid garbage accumulation in /tmp taking up the
> physical RAM.

Not sure I agree with this statement, but it is irrelevant here.

>  But not having /tmp or mounting it over NFS is not a viable stateless-node
> configuration option if you intend to run OpenMPI. Instead you could have a
> /bigtmp which is NFS-mounted and a /tmp whi!
> ch is local, for example. Starting in OpenMPI 1.7.x, shared-memory
> communication will no longer go through memory-mapped files, and
> vendors/users will no longer need to be vigilant concerning this OpenMPI
> performance requirement on stateless node configuration.

Having a local /tmp is typically required by Linux for proper operation as the
OS itself needs to ensure its usage is protected, as was previously stated and
is reiterated in numerous books on managing Linux systems. The "usual" way of
dealing with what you describe is for sys admins to add a /usr/tmp space which
is solely intended for use by users, with the understanding that they may stomp
on each other if they don't take care in naming their files. This is why we
provided the ability to redirect the placement of the session directories.

> Is that a reasonable summary?
>
> If so, would it be helpful to include this as an FAQ entry under General
> category?  Or the "shared memory" category?  Or the "troubleshooting"
> category?

IMO, discussions of how to handle /tmp on diskless systems goes beyond the
bounds of OMPI - it is a Linux system management issue that is covered in depth
by material on that subject. Explaining how the session directory is used, and
why we now include a test and warning if the session directory is going to land
on a networked file system (pretty sure this is now in the 1.5 series, but
certainly is in the trunk for future releases), would be reasonable.