Thanks for your thoughts,

It would certainly appear that it is a PATH issue, but I still haven't
figured it out.

When I type the ifort command, ifort does run.
The intel path is in my PATH and is the first directory listed.

Looking at the configure.log, there is nothing indicating use or mentioning
of "gfortran".

gfortran is in the /usr/bin directory, which is in the PATH as well.

Any other suggestions of things to look for?

Thank you,