Hello,

I am running Ray (a distributed software in genomics) with Open-MPI on 2048
processes and everything runs fine. Ray has a any-to-any communication pattern.
To avoid using too much memory, I implemented a virtual message router.

Without the virtual message router, I get messages like these:

[cp2558][[30209,1],0][connect/btl_openib_connect_oob.c:490:qp_create_one] error
creating qp errno says Cannot allocate memory

We did some tests on the Cray XE6 on 4096 processing elements (4096 MPI ranks)
without
the virtual message router and everything runs fine as is. So using the virtual
message router is not required.

The real message tag, the real source and the real destination are stored
in the MPI tag. I know, this is ugly, but it works. I can not store this
information in the message buffer because the buffer can be NULL.

bits 0 to 7: tag (8 bits, values from 0 to 255, 256 possible values)
bits 8 to 19: true source (12 bits, values from 0 to 4095, 4096 possible values)
bits 20 to 31: true destination (12 bits, values from 0 to 4095, 4096 possible
values)

Without the virtual router, my code is compliant with the fact that
MPI_Comm_get_attr(MPI_COMM_WORLD, MPI_TAG_UB,...) is at least 32767 (my tags
are <= 255).

When I try jobs with 4096 processes with the virtual message router, I get the
error:

    MPI_ERR_TAG: invalid tag.

Without the virtual message router I get:

[cp2558][[30209,1],0][connect/btl_openib_connect_oob.c:490:qp_create_one] error
creating qp errno says Cannot allocate memory

With Open-MPI 1.5.4, the upper bound is 17438272 (at least in our build). That
explains MPI_ERR_TAG.

My 2 questions:

1. Is there a better way to store routing information ?

2. Can I create my own communicator and set its MPI_TAG_UB to whatever I want ?

Thanks !

***
Sébastien Boisvert
Ph.D. student