On Apr 25, 2013, at 9:11 AM, Dave Love <d.l...@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ralph Castain <r...@open-mpi.org> writes:

>>> But unfortunately you won't be able to checkpoint.
>>
>> True - yet remember that OMPI no longer supports checkpoint/restart
>> after the 1.6 series. Pending a new supporter coming along
>
> As far as I can tell, lack of PSM checkpointing isn't specific to OMPI,
> and I know people have resorted to verbs to get it.
>
> Dropped CR is definitely reason not to use OMPI past 1.6.  [By the way,
> the release notes are confusing, saying that DMTCP is supported, but CR
> is dropped.]  I'd have hoped a vendor who needs to support CR would
> contribute, but I suppose changes just become proprietary if they move
> the base past 1.6 :-(.

Not necessarily

> For general information, what makes the CR support difficult to maintain
> -- is it just a question of effort?

Largely a lack of interest. Very few (i.e., a handful) of people around the
world use it, and it is hard to justify putting in the effort for that small a
user group. The person who did the work did so as part of his PhD thesis - he
maintained it for a couple of years while doing a post-doc, but now has joined
the "real world" and no longer has time. None of the other developers are
employed by someone who cares.