John,

there is no buffering in MPI messages (ok, some internal buffering may happen,
but it is intentionally reduced to a minimum).

An MPI_Send blocks until the output buffer can be reused. That means that for
large messages, it will block at least until the matching receive is posted,
and approximately until the transfer is complete.

You may want to look at Bsend and MPI_Buffer_attach, but do not go there,
except if you really feel a need for it, this is detrimental to performance.

Aurelien