On May 3, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Stefan Friedel
<stefan.frie...@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> dependency_libs=' -L/root/openmpi-1.6.4/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc132/hwloc/src
> -ldl -lrt -lnsl -lutil -lm'

Yow; it looks like .la's are picking up an internal intermediate library path.
Hmm.  I wonder how that's happening...

[...time passes...]

Ok, I see the issue.  It looks like a minor bug in the hwloc distribution
itself (hwloc is a software package that OMPI wholly embeds).  I've committed a
fix in OMPI, hwloc, and have queued up the change to be in the next releases of
Open MPI.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

As a workaround, you can simply remove this -L from the .la files.

I am somewhat amused to note that this has been OMPI's behavior for quite some
time -- you're the first to notice it!

> # are the *.la files necessary at all?
> (probably the answer is no: we tested this by deleting all *.la files in
> /usr/opt/openmpi-1.6.4  and it helped: application is compiling+running)

Yes; they're really only an aid for projects that build with Libtool.  But the
libtool that installs these files automatically, anyway; I don't know of an
easy way to *not* install these .la files.

For corporate legal information go to: