Still a timely response, thank you.    The particular problem I noted
hasn't recurred; for reasons I will explain shortly I had to rebuild
openmpi again, and this time Sample_mpio.c compiled and ran successfully
from the start.

But now my problem is trying to get parallel HDF5 to run.  In my first
attempt to build HDF5 it failed in the load stage because of unsatisifed
externals from openmpi, and I deduced the problem was having built openmpi
with --disable-static.   So I rebuilt with --enable-static and
--disable-dlopen (emulating a successful openmpi + hdf5 combination I had
built on Snow Leopard).   Once again openmpi passed its make check's, and
as noted above the Sample_mpio.c test compiled and ran fine.   And the
parallel hdf5 configure and make steps ran successfully.   But when I ran
make check for hdf5, the serial tests passed but none of the parallel tests
did.  Over a million test failures!  Error messages like:

Proc 0: *** MPIO File size range test...
--------------------------------
MPI_Offset is signed 8 bytes integeral type
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file write test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file read test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file read test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file read test MPItest.h5
MPIO GB file read test MPItest.h5
proc 3: found data error at [2141192192+0], expect -6, got 5
proc 3: found data error at [2141192192+1], expect -6, got 5

And -- the specific errors reported, which processor, which location, and
the total number of errors changes if I rerun make check.

I've sent configure, make and make check logs to the HDF5 help desk but
haven't gotten a response.

I am now configuring openmpi (still 1.7.4rc1) with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/openmpi CC=gcc CXX=g++ FC=gfortran
F77=gfortran --enable-static --with-pic --disable-dlopen
--enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default

and configuring HDF5 (version 1.8.12) with:

configure --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5/par CC=mpicc CFLAGS=-fPIC FC=mpif90
FCFLAGS=-fPIC CXX=mpicxx CXXFLAGS=-fPIC --enable-parallel --enable-fortran

This is the combination that worked for me with Snow Leopard (though it was
then earlier versions of both openmpi and hdf5.)

If it matters, the gcc is the stock one with Mavericks' XCode, and gfortran
is 4.9.0.

(I just noticed that the mpi fortran wrapper is now mpifort, but I also see
that mpif90 is still there and is a just link to mpifort.)

Any suggestions?