I'm looking at your code, and I'm not actually an expert in the MPI IO sutff...
but do you have a race condition in the file close+delete and the open with
EXCL?

I'm asking because I don't know offhand if the the file close+delete is
supposed to be collective and not return until the file is guaranteed to be
deleted, as visible from all MPI processes, or not.

If this guarantee is not provided, then perhaps a barrier between the
close+delete and the next file_open should be sufficient to avoid the race...?