Hi Ralph, this problem is not fixed completely by today's latest
ticket #4383, I guess ...

For example, in case of returing with ORTE_ERR_SILENT from the line 514
in rmaps_rr_mapper.c file, the problem still occurs. I executed the job
under the unmanaged condition - rsh without torque:

[mishima@manage openmpi-1.7.5rc2]$ mpirun -np 6 -host node05,node06
-nooversubscribe ~/mis/openmpi/demos/myprog
There are not enough slots available in the system to satisfy the 6 slots
that were requested by the application:
  /home/mishima/mis/openmpi/demos/myprog

Either request fewer slots for your application, or make more slots
available
for use.
Abort is in progress...hit ctrl-c again within 5 seconds to forcibly
terminate
Abort is in progress...hit ctrl-c again within 5 seconds to forcibly
terminate

rmaps_rr_mapper.c:
   509      /* quick check to see if we can map all the procs */
   510      if (num_slots < (app->num_procs *
orte_rmaps_base.cpus_per_rank)) {
   511          if (ORTE_MAPPING_NO_OVERSUBSCRIBE &
ORTE_GET_MAPPING_DIRECTIVE(jdata->map->mapping)) {
   512              orte_show_help("help-orte-rmaps-base.txt",
"orte-rmaps-base:alloc-error",
   513                             true, app->num_procs, app->app);
   514              return ORTE_ERR_SILENT;
   515          }

Tetsuya