I guess Control-C will kill only the mpirun process.
You may need to kill the (two) jules.exe processes separately,
say, with kill -9.
ps -u "yourname"
will show what you have running.

On 08/07/2014 11:16 AM, Jane Lewis wrote:
Hi all,

This is a really simple problem (I hope) where I’ve introduced MPI to a
complex numerical model which I have to kill occasionally with Control-C
as I don’t want it running forever.

I have only used mpi_init(), mpi_comm_size(), mpi_comm_rank() and
mpi_finalize()– there are no send/receive calls going on at the moment –
and I only have two instances. My startup command is:

#/bin/bash

/opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun  -np 2 -hostfile hostfile jules.exe

where hostfile has one entry : localhost

The result of terminating the process with Control-C at the command
prompt from where I launched it, is that I am then unable to run it
again. I get the

“mpirun has exited due to process rank 0 with PID 10094 on node
metclcv10.local exiting improperly. There are two reasons this could
occur:…” error each time despite checking running processes for
stragglers, closing my terminal, or changing node.

I have spent several hours searching for an answer to this, if it’s
already somewhere then please point me in the right direction.

many thanks in advance

Jane

For info:

#ompi_info -v ompi full --parsable

package:Open MPI root@centos-6-3.localdomain Distribution

ompi:version:full:1.6.2

ompi:version:svn:r27344

ompi:version:release_date:Sep 18, 2012

orte:version:full:1.6.2

orte:version:svn:r27344

orte:version:release_date:Sep 18, 2012

opal:version:full:1.6.2

opal:version:svn:r27344

opal:version:release_date:Sep 18, 2012

mpi-api:version:full:2.1

ident:1.6.2

I’m using centos-6-3 and FORTRAN.

Jane Lewis

Deputy Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre

Department of Meteorology

University of Reading, UK

Tel: +44 (0)118 378 5173

http://www.resc.reading.ac.uk <http://www.resc.reading.ac.uk/>