Hi,

IIRC there were some bug fixes between 1.8.1 and 1.8.2 in order to really
use all the published interfaces.

by any change, are you running a firewall on your head node ?
one possible explanation is the compute node tries to access the public
interface of the head node, and packets get dropped by the firewall.

if you are running a firewall, can you make a test without it ?
/* if you do need NAT, then just remove the DROP and REJECT rules "/

an other possible explanation is the compute node is doing (reverse) dns
requests with the public name and/or ip of the head node and that takes
some time to complete (success or failure, this does not really matter here)

/* a simple test is to make sure all the hosts/ip of the head node are in
the /etc/hosts of the compute node */

could you check your network config (firewall and dns) ?

can you reproduce the delay when running mpirun on the head node and with
one mpi task on the compute node ?

if yes, then the hard way to trace the delay issue would be to strace -ttt
both orted and mpi task that are launched on the compute node and see where
the time is lost.
/* at this stage, i would suspect orted ... */

Cheers,

Gilles