> On Nov 12, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Reuti <re...@staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>
> Am 12.11.2014 um 17:27 schrieb Reuti:
>
>> Am 11.11.2014 um 02:25 schrieb Ralph Castain:
>>
>>> Another thing you can do is (a) ensure you built with —enable-debug, and
>>> then (b) run it with -mca oob_base_verbose 100  (without the tcp_if_include
>>> option) so we can watch the connection handshake and see what it is doing.
>>> The —hetero-nodes will have not affect here and can be ignored.
>>
>> Done. It really tries to connect to the outside interface of the headnode.
>> But being there a firewall or not: the nodes have no clue how to reach
>> 137.248.0.0 - they have no gateway to this network at all.
>
> I have to revert this. They think that there is a gateway although it isn't.
> When I remove the entry by hand for the gateway in the routing table it
> starts up instantly too.
>
> While I can do this on my own cluster I still have the 30 seconds delay on a
> cluster where I'm not root, while this can be because of the firewall there.
> The gateway on this cluster is indeed going to the outside world.
>
> Personally I find this behavior a little bit too aggressive to use all
> interfaces. If you don't check this carefully beforehand and start a long
> running application one might even not notice the delay during the startup.

Agreed - do you have any suggestions on how we should choose the order in which
to try them? I haven’t been able to come up with anything yet. Jeff has some
fancy algo in his usnic BTL that we are going to discuss after SC that I’m
hoping will help, but I’d be open to doing something better in the interim for
1.8.4