> On May 30, 2015, at 4:34 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> On May 29, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Timothy Brown <timothy.brow...@colorado.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've built Openmpi 1.8.5 with the following configure line:
>>
>> ./configure  \
>> --prefix=/curc/tools/x86_64/rh6/software/openmpi/1.8.5/pgi/15.3 \
>> --with-threads=posix \
>> --enable-mpi-thread-multiple \
>> --with-slurm \
>> --with-pmi=/curc/slurm/slurm/current/
>>
>> Please note, I am using the following environment variables:
>> CC=pgcc
>> FC=pgfortran
>> F90=pgf90
>> F77=pgf77
>> CXX=pgc++
>
> Sweet -- thanks for the info, Tim.
>
> One extremely minor tweak that I would recommend is to do this, instead:
>
> ./configure  \
> CC=pgcc \
> FC=pgfortran \
> F90=pgf90 \
> F77=pgf77 \
> CXX=pgc++ \
> --prefix=/curc/tools/x86_64/rh6/software/openmpi/1.8.5/pgi/15.3 \
> --with-threads=posix \
> --enable-mpi-thread-multiple \
> --with-slurm \
> --with-pmi=/curc/slurm/slurm/current/
>
> I.e., set those environment variables on the configure command line instead
> of having them in your environment.
>
> The end effect is exactly the same -- the only difference is that these
> environment variables will be explicitly listed right at the top in the
> config.log file that is generated when you run configure.  It's a very minor
> thing -- just for helping your future self when remembering exactly how your
> copy of Open MPI was built.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have often gone back to a build and tried to figure out how it was
actually built. We're investigating using EasyBuild (
https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild ) however we haven't taken the plunge yet.

We do use Lmod ( https://github.com/TACC/Lmod ) and so I have modules loaded
into our environment.

All this being said, I wrote a quick and dirty script that logs the modules
loaded and the configure line from the config.log to a DB. The script also
queries the DB and can produce the configure command (including module loads)
and update the prefix based upon the source directory your in (it only does
this for patch version updates only (i.e 1.8.4 -> 1.8.5), I decided anything
larger than this you really should read the docs/configure options to see if
your doing things correctly). It's an ugly script that I'm not proud of but it
works!

Regards
Tim