Ralph Castain wrote:
As I said, if you don't provide an explicit slot count in your hostfile, we default to allowing oversubscription. We don't have OAR integration in OMPI, and so mpirun isn't recognizing that you are running under a resource manager - it thinks this is just being controlled by a hostfile.

That's look strange for me is that in this case (default) oversubscription is allowed for the number of core of one cpu (8), not the number of cores available in the node (16) or unlimited...
If you want us to error out on oversubscription, you can either add the flag you identified, or simply change your hostfile to:

frog53 slots=4

Either will work.

This syntax in the host file doesn't change anything to the oversuscribing problem. It is still allowed with the same maximum amount of processes for this test case:

[begou@frog7 MPI_TESTS]$ mpirun -np 8 *--hostfile frog7.txt* --bind-to core ./location.exe|grep 'thread is now running on PU' |sort (process 0) thread is now running on PU logical index 0 (OS/physical index 0) on system frog7 (process 1) thread is now running on PU logical index 2 (OS/physical index 6) on system frog7 (process 2) thread is now running on PU logical index 0 (OS/physical index 0) on system frog7 (process 3) thread is now running on PU logical index 2 (OS/physical index 6) on system frog7 (process 4) thread is now running on PU logical index 3 (OS/physical index 7) on system frog7 (process 5) thread is now running on PU logical index 1 (OS/physical index 5) on system frog7 (process 6) thread is now running on PU logical index 2 (OS/physical index 6) on system frog7 (process 7) thread is now running on PU logical index 3 (OS/physical index 7) on system frog7

[begou@frog7 MPI_TESTS]$ *cat frog7.txt*
frog7 slots=4

Patrick