Hi Gilles,

I've done a big mistake! Compiling the patched version of openMPI and creating a new module, I've forgotten to add the path to oarshmost command while OMPI_MCA_plm_rsh_agent=oarshmost was set.... OpenMPI was silently ignoring oarshmost command as it was unable to find it and so only one node was available!

The good thing is that with your patch, oversuscribing does not occur anymore on the nodes, it seems to solves efficiently the problem we had. I'll keep this patched version in prod for the users as the previous one was allowing 2 processes on some cores time to time, and haphazardly bad code performances in thes cases.

Yes this computer is the biggest one of CIMENT mesocenter, it is called... froggy and all the nodes are littles frogs :-)
https://ciment.ujf-grenoble.fr/wiki-pub/index.php/Hardware:Froggy

I was using $OAR_NODEFILE and frog.txt to check different syntax, one with a liste of nodes (on line with a node name for each available core) and the second with one line per node and the "slots" information for the number of cores. EG:

[begou@frog7 MPI_TESTS]$ cat $OAR_NODEFILE
frog7
frog7
frog7
frog7
frog8
frog8
frog8
frog8

[begou@frog7 MPI_TESTS]$ cat frog.txt
frog7 slots=4
frog8 slots=4

Thanks again for the patch and your help.

Patrick

Gilles Gouaillardet wrote:
Thanks Patrick,

could you please try again with the --hetero-nodes mpirun option ?
(I am afk, and not 100% sure about the syntax)

could you also submit a job with 2 nodes and 4 cores on each node, that does
cat /proc/self/status
oarshmost <remote host> cat /proc/self/status

btw, is there any reason why do you use a machine file (frog.txt) instead of using $OAR_NODEFILE directly ?
/* not to mention I am surprised a French supercomputer is called "frog" ;-) */

Cheers,

Gilles