Rick,

if you are using an inter communicator, please refer to the man page (a group has to use MPI_ROOT as the root argument)

Cheers,

Gilles

On 10/21/2016 3:36 PM, George Bosilca wrote:
Rick,

There are few requirements to use any communicator in a collective operation (including MPI_Reduce), and most of them are common sense. All ranks in the communicator must call the collective, and the different ranks should all reach the collective together (no unmatched blocking communications should exists before the collective on some ranks). To focus on the MPI_Reduce, all participants should also provide the same root rank, which should be bounded by 0 and by the communicator size, the same MPI_Op, and the same amount of data.

If I might I would suggest a good MPI-related book, "Using MPI ..." by Gropp, Lusk and Skjellum (ISBN 978-0262527392). The examples are freely available online at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi/.

  George.