From: users [mailto:users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Jingchao
Zhang
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 1:39 PM
To: Open MPI Users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openmpi single node jobs using btl openib

Hi Gilles,

- btl/vader has a higher exclusivity than btl/sm, so bottom line, vader should
be used instead of sm

Yes, I believe vader is being used in our case. I should say self,vader in my

- is your interconnect infiniband or qlogic ? infiniband uses pml/ob1 and
btl/openib for inter node communication, whereas qlogic users pml/cm and
mtl/psm.
We have two fabrics in the cluster.  The older/original nodes are
interconnected on a Qlogic/Intel Truescale fabric.  We've expanded the cluster
with newer nodes that are interconnected with Intel Omni-path architecture
fabric.  The nodes can present to user-space the faster/preferred PSM/PSM2
and the IB/verbs interfaces.  We build ompi such that it has the freedom
to use the best transport, ie our build options: --with-verbs --with-psm
--with-psm2.  Perhaps we should stop building with verbs, but it is our
understanding that ompi should select the best transport at initialization.

- does your program involve MPI_Comm_spawn ? note that nor btl/vader nor btl/sm
can be user for inter job communications (e.g. the main task and a spawn-ed
task), so btl/openib would be used even for intra node communications.

From what we checked in cp2k source code, it doesn't have any 'MPI_Comm_spawn'.
If we disable the use of openib within the single node run, and it performs
much better/as expected, what is being used for inter job communication?  Is
there a flag to specify that outputs rank-to-rank ompi transport selection?
That would be very handy to have if it doesn't exist.

can you please run again your app with mpirun --mca pml_base_verbose 10 --mca
btl_base_verbose 10 --mca mtl_base_verbose 10 ...

Please see attached for the verbose results.

Thanks,

Dr. Jingchao Zhang
Holland Computing Center
University of Nebraska-Lincoln