You might want to try using the DVM (distributed virtual machine) mode in ORTE.
You can start it on an allocation using the “orte-dvm” cmd, and then submit
jobs to it with “mpirun --hnp <foo>”, where foo is either the contact info
printed out by orte-dvm, or the name of the file you told orte-dvm to put that
info in. You’ll need to take it from OMPI master at this point.

Alternatively, you can get just the DVM bits by downloading the PMIx Reference
Server (https://github.com/pmix/pmix-reference-server
<https://github.com/pmix/pmix-reference-server>). It’s just ORTE, but with it
locked to the DVM operation. So a simple “psrvr” starts the machine, and then
“prun” executes cmds (supports all the orterun options, doesn’t need to be told
how to contact psrvr).

Both will allow you to run serial as well as parallel codes (so long as they
are built against OMPI master). We are working on providing cross-version PMIx
support - at that time, you’ll be able to run OMPI v2.0 and above against
either one as well.

HTH
Ralph