It depends on the transport used. If there is a high-performance network (Cray
Aries, Infiniband, etc) then the progress is handled by the hardware. For other
networks (Infinipath, Omnipath, TCP, etc) there are options.

For TCP you can set:

 --mca btl_tcp_progress_thread 1

No such option currently exists for Infinipath and Omnipath. Though with those
networks you can use verbs but Intel does not support that mode of operation and
the performance can be bad for some operations (> 100 us latency on
compare-and-swap for example).

I don't know how well tested this support is. There haven't been many requests
for this feature so not much work has been done on it.

-Nathan

On Feb 16, 2018, at 08:46 AM, Ahmed Hamdy Mohamed Eleliemy