On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 8:52 AM, Nathan Hjelm <hje...@me.com> wrote:

> It depends on the transport used. If there is a high-performance network
> (Cray Aries, Infiniband, etc) then the progress is handled by the hardware.
> For other networks (Infinipath, Omnipath, TCP, etc) there are options.
>
> For TCP you can set:
>
>  --mca btl_tcp_progress_thread 1
>
> No such option currently exists for Infinipath and Omnipath. Though with
> those networks you can use verbs but Intel does not support that mode of
> operation and the performance can be bad for some operations (> 100 us
> latency on compare-and-swap for example).

If Intel Omni Path is the network of interest, I'd recommend using the
OFI/libfabric transport layer in Open-MPI and asking the libfabric list (
http://lists.openfabrics.org/mailman/listinfo/libfabric-users) for
instructions on how to enable asynchronous progress inside of libfabric.

When I was testing RMA in Open-MPI on Omni Path a while ago, the
performance of both PSM2 and OFI was quite good relative to other
implementations, as measured by the OSU MPI benchmarks.  I was using Casper
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/project/casper/) for asynchronous progress,
although those tests don't necessary reveal a lack of asynchronous progress.

Best,

Jeff

I don't know how well tested this support is. There haven't been many
> requests for this feature so not much work has been done on it.
>
> -Nathan
>
> On Feb 16, 2018, at 08:46 AM, Ahmed Hamdy Mohamed Eleliemy <
> ahmed.eleli...@unibas.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I used to work with MPICH. I am trying now to compare and switch to
> OpenMPI. I am using OpenMPI version 2.1.1.
> To have progress for one-sided communications (in the passive mode). I
> used to export the following environment variable MPICH_ASYNC_PROGRESS=1
> My questions are:
> 1. What would be the equivalent option for openmpi?
> 2. How openmpi handle the progress of the one-sided communications?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards
> Ahmed

Jeff Hammond