"Gabriel, Edgar" <egabr...@central.uh.edu> writes:

> a) if we detect a Lustre file system without flock support, we can
> printout an error message. Completely disabling MPI I/O is on the
> ompio architecture not possible at the moment, since the Lustre
> component can disqualify itself, but the generic Unix FS component
> would kick in in that case, and still continue execution. To be more
> precise, the query function of the Lustre component has no way to
> return anything than "I am interested to run" or "I am not interested
> to run"
>
> b) I can add an MCA parameter that would allow the Lustre component to
> abort execution of the job entirely. While this parameter would
> probably be by default set to 'false', a system administrator could
> configure it to be set to 'true' an particular platform.

Assuming the operations which didn't fail for me are actually OK with
noflock (and maybe they're not in other circumstances), can't you just
do the same as ROMIO and fail with an explanation on just the ones that
will fail without flock?  That seems the best from a user's point of
view if there's an advantage to using OMPIO rather than ROMIO.

I guess it might be clear which operations are problematic if I
understood what in fs/lustre requires flock mounts and what the full
semantics of the option are, which seem to be more than documented.

Thanks for looking into it, anyhow.