These are great data points!

I'd love to hear from others, too.

________________________________
From: users <users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of Andrew Reid via
users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2022 10:21 AM
To: Open MPI Users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: Andrew Reid <andrew.ce.r...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Oldest version of SLURM in use?

Sorry, 2022-2016=6 years old.  This is why I let the computers do the
arithmetic....

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:19 AM Andrew Reid
<andrew.ce.r...@gmail.com<mailto:andrew.ce.r...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Wondering if I should reply from an alt for this, but.... in my case, it's not
so much "less well-funded" as "less well-organized".

I have some small clusters that, for convenience, run the Debian-packaged
version of SLURM. Debian 9 reached the end of LTS  June, 30, 2022, and packaged
version 16.05 of SLURM, which we were running on some systems right up until
that point, when it was eight years old.

More generally, the Debian-packaged version tends to be a year or two behind at
distro-release time, and Debian LTS lifetimes can be five years, so you can get
into a window late in the distro lifecycle where things are pretty old.

But, to be clear, my expectation for support, which was the actual question, is
pretty much zero. I'm juggling my time and tasks with my eyes open, and if I
find myself in a corner where some software doesn't run because the version
mismatch between OpenMPI and SLURM is too big, my first line of attack will be
to do the required upgrades -- I'm pretty unlikely to look for support. Also,
there's a selection effect, usually the *reason* the cluster has not been
upgraded is that users want to keep running their legacy software on it, so as
a practical matter, I do not often find myself in the version-mismatch corner.

Pardon my rambling, the upshot is, some lazy/disorganized people rely on
third-party packagers, and do get pretty far behind.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 9:54 AM Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) via users