Dear Support,

I'm seeking clarification about the expected behavior of mpirun in Slurm
jobs.

Our setup consists of using Slurm for resource allocation and OpenMPI
mpirun to launch MPI applications. We have found that when two Slurm jobs
have been allocated different cores on the same compute node that the MPI
ranks in Slurm job 1 map to the same cores as Slurm job 2. It appears that
OpenMPI mpirun is not considering the details of the Slurm allocation. We
get expected behavior when srun is employed as the MPI launcher instead of
mpirun, i.e. the MPI ranks in Slurm job 1 use different cores than the MPI
ranks in Slurm job 2.

We have observed this with OpenMPI-4.1.6 and OpenMPI-5.0.2. Should we
expect that the mpirun in each job will only use the exact cores that were
allocated by Slurm?

Thanks,
Chris