From: users <users-boun...@lists.open-mpi.org> on behalf of T Brouns via users
<users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2024 4:04 PM
To: users@lists.open-mpi.org <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
Cc: T Brouns <t.s.n.bro...@gmail.com>
Subject: [OMPI users] Fwd: Unable to run basic mpirun command (OpenMPI v5.0.3)

Hello,

I'm experiencing issues running simple `mpirun` commands, after installing
OpenMPI v5.0.3.

When I run any command with `mpirun`, for example:

```
mpirun --help
mpirun --version
mpirun uptime
mpirun hello_c.c
```

I end up with the following error (in every case):

```
Sorry!  You were supposed to get help about:
    prterun-exec-failed
from the file:
    /usr/share/openmpi/help-mpirun.txt: No such file or directory
But I couldn't find that topic in the file.  Sorry!
```

I've installed OpenMPI using these steps:
https://docs.open-mpi.org/en/v5.0.x/installing-open-mpi/quickstart.html

When I install an older version of OpenMPI (such as v4.0.5), I end up with the
following error instead, when running `mpirun`:

```
It looks like opal_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during opal_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

  opal_shmem_base_select failed
  --> Returned value -1 instead of OPAL_SUCCESS
```

You can find all the log files over here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/163N5Xx5UJZ7fKU172VZSGF2nPY6z0tJF?usp=sharing

Love to get some help on this. Thanks.

Best,
Terence