Daniel Molina wrote on 24/10/12 13:58:
On 24 October 2012 11:08, <kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Daniel Molina wrote on 23/10/12 20:23:

        On 23 October 2012 14:31, <kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>>> wrote:

            Dear Ruben,

            first of all, sorry for delay with reply!
            Please, see my comments inline.

            Ruben S. Montero wrote on 19/10/12 00:34:

                Hi Ricardo + Nikolay

                You are right, one thing we have in our short roadmap is to add
a generic metada
        section
                for VMs. This metadata could be updated using the *update*
functionality currently
        present
                for other commands.

            sounds encouraging! Is any information when such feature is planned
to be implemented?

                Just to give you the rationale behind not having this yet. As
you probably know the VM
                template is extended once the VM created with control data
(e.g. DISK_ID's, specifric
                LEASES, SOURCE for DISK...) for obvious reasons we do not want
a user to modify this.

            seems reasonable

                So we will split this in two, one for the control data and
other to be
        used/modified by
                the user.

                For now, as Nikolay suggests this limit somehow part of the
out-of-the-box
        functionality
                (e.g. adding DESCRIPTION in  a bulk submission), this
functionality will need a custom
                program using OCA. About parsing the out put of onevm show,
note that you can
        always get
                the full pool information with onevm list -x  (TEMPLATE
included) the onevm list
        command
                just parse and pick some of this info and present it in a
tabular form...

            Thanks a lot for detailed reply and explanations!

        JFYI You can easily add new columns to the onevm list command. The
following patch adds a
        new DESCRIPTION column to the onevm list output:

        https://gist.github.com/8f8499704cbee0e5db84

        The onevm.yaml can be defined per user in $HOME/.one/onevm.yaml or
globally in
        /etc/one/cli/onevm.yaml

Dear OpenNebula developers,

It have been very convenient for me to have DESCRIPTION column in vm list but it seems that patch is absent in 4.2 release. I wonder if it is planned to include such feature in mainstream code in future releases or it will be needed to apply that patch for every new release?

Best regards,
Nikolay.