Hi Daniel,

Daniel Molina wrote on 28/11/13 14:13:
Hi Nikolay,

On 27 November 2013 15:02, <kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Daniel Molina wrote on 24/10/12 13:58:

        On 24 October 2012 11:08, <kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>>> wrote:

            Daniel Molina wrote on 23/10/12 20:23:

                On 23 October 2012 14:31, <kna...@gmail.com
<mailto:kna...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>>
                <mailto:kna...@gmail.com <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>
<mailto:kna...@gmail.com
        <mailto:kna...@gmail.com>>>> wrote:

                    Dear Ruben,

                    first of all, sorry for delay with reply!
                    Please, see my comments inline.

                    Ruben S. Montero wrote on 19/10/12 00:34:

                        Hi Ricardo + Nikolay

                        You are right, one thing we have in our short roadmap
is to add a generic
        metada
                section
                        for VMs. This metadata could be updated using the
*update* functionality
        currently
                present
                        for other commands.

                    sounds encouraging! Is any information when such feature is
planned to be
        implemented?

                        Just to give you the rationale behind not having this
yet. As you probably
        know the VM
                        template is extended once the VM created with control
data (e.g.
        DISK_ID's, specifric
                        LEASES, SOURCE for DISK...) for obvious reasons we do
not want a user to
        modify this.

                    seems reasonable

                        So we will split this in two, one for the control data
and other to be
                used/modified by
                        the user.

                        For now, as Nikolay suggests this limit somehow part of
the out-of-the-box
                functionality
                        (e.g. adding DESCRIPTION in  a bulk submission), this
functionality will
        need a custom
                        program using OCA. About parsing the out put of onevm
show, note that you can
                always get
                        the full pool information with onevm list -x  (TEMPLATE
included) the
        onevm list
                command
                        just parse and pick some of this info and present it in
a tabular form...

                    Thanks a lot for detailed reply and explanations!

                JFYI You can easily add new columns to the onevm list command.
The following patch
        adds a
                new DESCRIPTION column to the onevm list output:

        https://gist.github.com/8f8499704cbee0e5db84

                The onevm.yaml can be defined per user in $HOME/.one/onevm.yaml
or globally in
                /etc/one/cli/onevm.yaml

    Dear OpenNebula developers,

    It have been very convenient for me to have DESCRIPTION column in vm list
but it seems that
    patch is absent in 4.2 release. I wonder if it is planned  to include such
feature in
    mainstream code in future releases or it will be needed to apply that patch
for every new release?

OpenNebula 4.4 is almost ready, but we can consider including it for one-4.6. Could you please open a feature request in our dev page so we can schedule it for the next release?

http://dev.opennebula.org/
http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2509

Thanks!

Nikolay.