Thank you so much Cesar. Looks like that is exactly what I was facing.
As commented in the defect log, I tried oc cluster up
--version=v1.3.0-alpha.2
and that also works.

P.S.: if any developers are here, I would suggest switch openshift docker
distribution to start "oc cluster up" instead of "openshift start".
I was unable to get docker to show default images (which are setup by oc
cluster up, as jessica mentioned) and was also unable to find a way to do
"oc cluster up" after docker started. i got error "openshift is already
up". i tried "oc cluster down" which killed docker. i also tried building
my own dockerfile with different entry point but for some reason that also
did not work.