Phillippe - I have never seen a properly configured openshift server to
timeout while mounting secrets. Sure, we know of some problems while
mounting EBS volumes but secrets should be quick to mount since there are
less moving parts.

To be able to figure out, I need to look at logs of atomic-openshift-node
process and atomic-openshift-master process.  Mounting of secret should be
relatively quick since it involves making an api call to apiserver to fetch
the secret and mount it inside a EmptyDir. So my first doubt is - something
is wrong with apiserver.

Is etcd configured properly? does it have enough memory? Are there any
errors in api-server logs? If you don't want to post logs to a public
mailing list, you can email them to my address.