Ah, so that makes more sense.

So can I define the persistence properties (e.g. using nfs) in the inventory file, but specify 'openshift_metrics_install_metrics=false' and then run the byo/config.yml  playbook will that create the PVs, but not deploy metrics. Then I can later run the byo/openshift-cluster/openshift-metrics.yml to actually deploy the metrics.

The reason I'm doing this in 2 stages is that I sometimes hit 'Unable to allocate memory' problems when trying to deploy everything with byo/config.yml (possibly due to the 'forks' setting in ansible.cfg).