As a strict minimum, you should write an "unformatted" file, much faster than a "formatted" one. I don't understand what you are trying to achieve, though. You can read the QE format with a postprocessing code (please have a look at pp_example.f90) and do whatever you like with the Kohn-Sham orbitals, on as many processors you need, without re-writing everything once again.

Paolo