Ciao Nicola
You're right, I've mixed two different things too much with a misleading result. The first information was "use Gaussian smearing because in my experience makes scf more stable". The second was "if you use Gaussian smearing and scf_must_converge=.false., then you may reduce smearing to lower values that avoid the smearing of too much charge density across the semiconductor band gap (if there is any in such nanoclusters...), with a partial occupation of orbitals that should be empty".
Thanks for the clarification, I think it will be useful to Antonio.
Best
Giuseppe