On 04/20/2012 12:36, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
On 19.04.2012 22:19, Arne Berglund wrote:
On 04/19/2012 13:06, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

Why I'm asking: Although I added the column 'priority' in main.inc.php
under $rcmail_config['list_cols'], the priority column does not get
displayed.

I can display it with the drop-down-button "List Options" of course, but
the declaration in main.inc.php seems to be ignored by RC entirely.

Adding the column to main.inc.php will load it as default for any new users going forward, but column preferences for existing users are already set. The preferences are stored in a large string in the users table in the database. I'm sure that it is possible to run some sort of update query to add that pref to existing users, but it will be a rather complex
change.

Thanks for the explanation, Arne.

Is there any way to determine which settings in main.inc.php do apply no matter what, and which are only defaults for new users? Or is there any
documentation around about this...?

I've never seen any definitive documentation on this, I can only speak from my own experiences running our RC system. But it comes down to this, if a preference is user-configurable, you can change the default for new users, but those changes are not retroactive. In fact, even if you change a default and then add it to the dont_override array, that preference will no longer be able to be changed by a user, but any prior user who changed that parameter prior to the dont_override setting will retain the older setting.

I've actually used this behavior to my advantage. In general, we do not want normal users to have multiple identities, so I've set the default to "one identity, no edit on email address". But there are a few users who have legitimate need to send from a different address. So I have a second instance of RC (connecting to the same database) that is an exact mirror of the production system, except that multiple identities are allowed. When someone needs to set up a new identity I assist them in logging into the "identities-ok" instance, where they can make the change. Even though you can't add new identities in the production instance, once the additional identity has been created and logged in the database, it is available for use in the "no-identities" instance as well.

In short, if you need to make a retroactive change to the default user preferences, I think the simplest way to do so would be to delete the preferences data for all users in the database. I believe that if you did that all settings would revert to the current defaults on next login.

--
Arne Berglund
System Administrator, Internet Services