Hello again, some more observations on the LDAP importing functionality:

'required_fields' => array('cn', 'givenName', 'sn', 'mail' ),
+ nicely splits names with the new heuristic algorithm
+ imports the email adddress values from the vCards
- Requires the vCards to have at least two "words" in FN (to execute spliting heuristic)

'required_fields' => array("cn", "sn"),
+ can import vCards that have only one word in FN (no splitting logic for givenName required!)
- No splitting where possible/sensible
- does NOT import the email address values from any vCard (data loss without warning!) - cannot import vCards where FN fields has the same value as EMAIL field:
("FN:n...@mple.com, EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET;TYPE=OTHER:e...@mple.com" works
"FN:e...@mple.com, EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET;TYPE=OTHER:e...@mple.com" does not work

I would like to use the lowest common denominator for 'required_fields' (e.g. ("cn", "sn")), but it appears that with that setting, for some reason, email addresses do not get imported, although they exist and are perfectly imported with 'required_fields' => array('cn', 'sn', 'mail' ).

May I propose that the importing function

1) Tries to import as much data as possible:
* email addresses get imported even thought they are not on the "required_fields" list * NO data is skipped automatically, even though a contact with the same name may exist. Store both contacts (with the same name), and let the user worry about or consolidate the data, but don't just skip it while importing.

2) Warns the user in case that some values cannot be stored (see the case above, FN=EMAIL or the case I outlined in an earlier email where the website URL field got dropped). PLEASE tell the user and do not hide behind "Successfully imported n contacts", because "successfully" usually means "without any problems", and not "some information may or may not have been lost during the process".

3) Offers a setting to turn on the very useful heuristic for first/last name splitting without having to add "givenName" to required_fields in order to be able to import also items with only word in FN?

Thanks for your consideration, time and patience, Achim