Since my attentions on roundcube currently, I decided to look into some plugs.
One thing that I would like be able to do is highlight messages in the list so
they get a color background, and I found a plugin to do this,
cor/message-highlight but after installing it, I was unable to access the
roundcube settings in the GUI (it would time out after a long period of loading
any settings), so I removed it (everything is back to normal operation now).

I don’t see anything else that might do this, however.

There is a label plugin called weird-birds/thunderbird_labels but I don’t want
labels, I want color highlighting.

--
What we have here is a failure to communicate.