On Wed 21 Jun 2023 at 21:32, David Pottage <da...@electric-spoon.com> wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 08:43, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:
>> I have a roundcube 1.3.6 (with sqlite3) installed on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
>> and I would like to upgrade it to roundcube 1.5.0 (with sqlite3) on
>> Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS:
>>
>>     roundcube/bionic,now 1.3.6+dfsg.1-1 all [installed,automatic]
>>     ->
>>     roundcube/jammy,jammy 1.5.0+dfsg.1-2 all

I tested the upgrade procedure yesterday:

- upgrade from ubuntu 18.04 lts to 20.04 lts went without issues

- upgrade from ubuntu 20.04 lts to 22.04 lts had issues

  - upgrade wanted to deconfigure the roundcube database
  - I had to change apache2 config a bit
  - there were other strugles which I don't remember exactly.

  As I configure the machine with a single custom per machine debian
  package which diverts other configs, it seemed easiest to uninstall my
  custom package with machine configuration (and dependencies) and do
  ubuntu upgrade.  One of the reasons might also be that I am using
  roundcube-sqlite3 package and this seems to require more ceremony than
  usual.  In my custom package with machine configuration, I had to
  update apache config (added Directory directive to apache2 config and
  updated php version).  In the end I installed my custom package with
  machine configuration again.  I did not have to do anything to the
  roundcube database so I guess this was upgraded automatically.

  I have not figured out the same apache2 config which would work both
  on ubuntu 20.04 lts and ubuntu 22.04 lts so I will have to babysit the
  upgrade unfortunately.

> I did a similar upgrade as part of upgrading my Debian server from
> Bullseye to Bookworm and it did not go well.
>
> After the upgrade roundcube failed to work and said resource not found.
>
> I got it working by taking a backup of /etc/roundcube as a zip file,
> then running apt purge roundcube* to fully remove everything roundcube
> related.
>
> I then re-installed roundcube (with apt install), but when it asked me
> if I wanted to setup the database I said no, I then populated the new
> roundcube config files in /etc/roundcube with settings and passwords
> from the backup I took. Then it started working.
>
> I suspect, that as part of upgrading roundcube, the SQL schema got
> updated, but other things where done wrong. For that reason I think you
> need to first upgrade, and then purge and re-install the upgraded
> roundcube packages. It might not work if you try to just purge the old
> and install the new.

Thanks for the detailed write up, David.

> On 21/06/2023 16:37, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> in the bin dir you have many scripts that helps keep roundcube updated
>
> I don't think this is good advice.

agree, I prefer sticking to the official ubuntu package

Cheers,

Tomas