Samuel,

In another e-mail that for some reason was not sent (and was completely deleted...) I mentioned this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols and standard ISO 80000-2, which in its clause 9, item 2.9.5 says that symbol for multiplication is either · or ×, and that they can be omitted if no misunderstanding is possible, and presents two examples of omission, one with space, such as /a/ /b/, and one without space, such as /ab/ (I suppose this is when one has been already using /a/ and /b/ or they are immediately explained).

I like the space more, it is more general and the only situation where it would be ambiguous is between numbers, such as 1.234 58 (since the thousand separator is a short space according to the ISO-BIPM GUM), but between numbers × is customary.

Regards,

Federico